Thursday 24 December 2015

Looking Back

It was around this time of year that I got my first ever Harry Potter book. It took me a few years to become a fan- I don't remember the process- but I do remember reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in the basement of my aunt and uncle's house, soon after receiving it as a Christmas present from another aunt.

I was a little girl. Probably too young to actually understand the darkness of the series, so I waited two years before reading Chamber of Secrets. That gave me such nightmares that I didn't read the others for yet another two years. And before I quite realised it, I was a fan.

I quote characters of the Potterverse. I cry over deaths, again and again. I use instances from the series in essays and in real life. I bonded over HP with so many people, and in doing so, I made some very good friends.

I suppose that journey started, eight years ago, with that Christmas present. I had no idea that it was a phenomenon that one day would sweep me up as well. I had no idea this was the beginning of a journey that would make me laugh and cry and vent and rejoice.
Because for me, and for so many others, as I now know, the story lives on. Hogwarts will always be there to welcome us home.



That was eight years ago. The year was 2007, the same year that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows released.

I open at the close.

2 comments:

  1. High-five kaivu!! It was superb!
    #HarryPotterIsAwesome
    #IOpenAtTheClose

    ReplyDelete
  2. U know what? Even my first Harry Potter book was a present. And i NEVER thought I would become so obsessed with it

    ReplyDelete